Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Makin' Do Tuesday: A Hair Dye Experiment

Welcome to Makin' Do Tuesday!

I found my first gray hair when I was 27 years old, and ever since then I have battled between my desire to at least look presentable, and my loathing for fooling with my hair. My mother's hair was very dark brown, almost black, and very straight. My dad is a natural blonde, with natural curls. My hair is a literal combination of the two. It is straight on top and curly on the bottom. I really don't like short hair, but if I grow it out, I have ringlets on the lower half, which makes it look like a half grown out permanent. Curling irons don't work either.

My natural color is a lighter brown, but it is very hard to duplicate, so I don't try. In the past, I have gone several months, maybe even a year or two, letting the gray come out where it will, much to my mother's horror. Other times, I have kept it a dark auburn, and yet others, like now, a dark brown.

Hair dye can be expensive, and we won't even discuss trips to a salon. I'm not even paying that kind of money for a dye job. In addition, I'm not real crazy about putting all those chemicals on my head, so I was excited to see this article from DIY.com.

For dark hair, you can use coffee, tea, nettle, rosemary or sage. Well, I always have coffee, and rosemary and sage are two herbs I grow and dry myself. So why not try it. I had about a half a pot of leftover coffee last night, so I pour it into a large mason jar along with the used grounds from the pot. This morning, I poured some of the coffee into a pan and put in a large handful each or dried sage and dried rosemary. I boiled it, and then poured it all back in the jar to steep and cool. I keep a squirt bottle, filled with water, next to the bathroom sink. I poured out the water, refilled the bottle with the coffee/tea solution and started spraying my head. Yeah, it was a drippy mess, but it cleaned up easy enough (a lot better than the chemical stuff) I set my kitchen timer for 30 minutes and waited.

To be honest, I didin't see much difference, but it may be one of those things that I will have to do for awhile before I actually see any results. I'll keep at it and let you know.

Oh, on a totally different note, here is a little makin' do tip I got from my dad the other night when we were talking. He had a milk jug that he was keeping outside for something, but he couldn't find the lid. My step mom brought him a cup from a liquid medicine bottle. The narrow bottom slipped down inside the jug, but the wide top caught at the lip. Instant lid!

Have a wonderful day!

See ya tomorrow!

Connie

No comments:

Post a Comment