Saturday, January 4, 2014

A Little Setback

Ok, so it wasn't quite "tomorrow".  Sometimes life gets in the way of our plans, which might be God's way of telling me that He is in control and I am not!

My mother is in the hospital with some sort of colon infection. They know what it isn't, but they want to find out what it is before they let her go home. Needless to say, I've spent more time there than here.

Ed went to get some firewood from a friend's house, and got the truck stuck. Now, I don't drive a stick, so I don't quite know what happened, but suffice it to say that the truck full of fire wood is still sitting at my friend's house. Something about the clutch...

My plan for the last few days was to get all the Christmas stuff taken down and put in storage, get the house organized for the rest of winter and share some things with you here. So much for plans.

Its snowing right now, and we are expecting unusually cold weather consisting of below 0 air temps as well as -30 to -45 degree wind chills, so tomorrow is on hold too. The plan is to go to church in the morning, back to church tomorrow evening, and see what we can get done about the truck in the time between. Either tomorrow or Monday, I want to share some more cool stuff about vinegar.

Back before Thanksgiving, I went to a Goodwill closeout store with my junkin' buddy. If you have never been to one, its where they take all the stuff they sell in their regular stores. Everything is in bins and you dig. The price? 0.79/lb! She was looking for stuff to sell on  Ebay (I've never had much luck with that) and I was looking for stuff to repurpose as well as clothes for Katherine. Did well in both departments.

This isn't something I do all the time, because I don't believe in just spending money "because". I'm more about using what I already have, but sometimes you just have to spend money. Of course, you need actually have the money before you spend it too!

One of my favorite fnds from that day was a pair of shadow boxes.

A few weeks later, one of Mom's neighbors brought Mom three small plastic totes full of Christmas ornaments. She said she was clearing out a bunch of stuff she didn't need. Mom kept a box, gave one to my sister and one to me. Well, I love Christmas decorations, but I really didn't need any more. Most of them have gone back in the tote to keep for next year, or until I can give them to someone else.

Anyway, I was able to make a  very nice display with the shadow boxes, some of the new stuff, and some stuff I already had.



Total cost to me for this display? About $1.70.  I realize the wall next to them is bare, but the hat rack is usually in the way there. Thinking about putting more pictures on that side. Not sure what I'm going to put in the boxes next. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.


No comments:

Post a Comment