Monday, January 6, 2014

Finally, Vinegar!

Its cold here in the Kansas City Metro. About 4 degrees right now with a wind chill of  -12.

Mom is gettting released from the hospital today. They still aren't sure what caused the infection, but she is so much better, the decided to send her home with oral antibiotics as opposed to the IV meds they have been giving her. There is a whole other blog post, that I will save for another time.

Usually, I am right in the middle of something before I realize I should have taken some pictures to show before and after, and this time was no different. Last fall, we were cleaning out Ed's outside storage box and discovered there had been a leak. Several small tools, nails, screws, etc were pretty rusty. You know me, I wasn't going to pitch any of it, if I could save it.

An internet search revealed I could use Vinegar. So I put everything in a plastic dish pan and soaked it in vinegar, leaving it sitting outside. Fortunately it didn't rain, because I got side tracked and left them out there for about a week. Worked like a charm!

A little while later, maybe a few weeks, I was looking for some bolts and I remembered that I had a ton of nuts, bolts, etc in the old cellar behind the house. Well, I did, but they were literally rusted together in one big clump. I brought them in, put them in a plastic bowl, filled it with vinegar, and left it for about a week.
Here are the during and after pictures. Of course, I didn't think about the before.


Awesome huh? The vinegar lifted the rust and other crud right off. That all floated to the top, leaving the clean hardware below.

My stepmom told me a long time ago that vinegar would "kill" mildew. Well, it will clean it off anyway. Anytime laundry gets that mildewy smell to it, we add a cup of vinegar to the wash water.

I also already knew that vinegar works well to clean glass and mirrors.

Any cursory internet search about using vinegar  for cleaning yeilds a ton of results. Add baking soda and you just about have everything you need to clean your house without using harsh (and wallet draining) chemicals.

However, this site was the mother lode for vinegar uses. Definitely gonna bookmark this one.

How do you use vinegar?

No comments:

Post a Comment