Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Makin' Do Tuesday: Rubbing Off and Salt

Welcome to Makin' Do Tuesday! This is where we talk about all the ways we “make do” with what we have. While its true that some people seem to naturally make do, I think we can all train our minds to think like this.

Last week, we had to get some new space heaters because the old ones were making noises like rocks in a can.  Ed picks up the two old heaters and says. “I'm going to take the cords off these because I just might be able to use them for something else. “ Then he says, “See? You're starting to rub off on me!”

A day or so later, we were able to get outside and do some work on the wood Ed got the day he killed the clutch in the truck. A friend from church went with Ed to get the wood off the truck that was still in our other friend's yard.  The wood didn't need to be split, but it did need to be cut in smaller pieces.

The plan was for me to hold one end of the log still so he could cut it. Ok, I have very small hands, and don't really have a lot of strength in them, so this was not working. I could hold my end alright, but I couldn't keep the other end from moving. We needed another set of hands.  Ed looked around and found two little scraps of wood. He screwed them onto one end of a saw horse, just far enough apart to catch those logs between them. Voila! Two sets of hands. We laid one end  of the logs between the blocks of wood, I held the other end, and all the wood was cut in about 20 minutes or so.  So I guess I am rubbing off on him. Good! That means there are two brains coming up with ideas.
 By the way, Ed  made these saw horses from pieces of old fencing my oldest son gave us. He was tearing down the fence for someone else, and needed a way to haul it off. He told us if he could use our truck we could have the wood. Sounded like a good deal to us.

The other thing I wanted to talk about today is something almost everyone keeps in the pantry: Salt. Plain old table salt. We use it to season food,  preserve food, melt ice,  and get rid of slugs (if you like doing that sort of thing), but did you know you can clean with it?

Ed told me that his grandmother used to use salt to clean her cast iron skillets. He said she just dumped some salt in there and scrubbed the pan with a rag. Curious, I had to try it. Wow! It really worked, and it didn't remove the seasoning! I just rinsed the salt out with hot water and dried the pan. Next time I do that, I'll take pictures. I promise!

A while back, I was looking for information on some apothecary bottles that I have. I came across something that said you can use salt to clean them. When I decided to try that on my dirty bottles, I couldn't find the article. (Yeah, I know. That’s what I get for not bookmarking it.) I have found some other articles, but they are kind of vague, so I am experimenting.  Here are some pictures of my bottles.
I chose three of the dirtiest ones and put quite a bit of salt in them.



 Then I added some hot water and let them soak for about a half hour. Then I shook the bottles four about three minutes, or until my arm started getting tired. I let them sit some more and shook some more. Finally, I rinsed them out to see what I had. They are definitely cleaner, especiallly the "Sloan's Linament" bottle in the center. There was black gunk floating in the salt water, when I poured it out..

I refilled them and will let you know how that turns out. I'll do some more research this week and let you know if I learn anything more.

Other internet research showed that there are tons of ways to clean with salt, and even more if you mix them with our old buddy, vinegar!

Here is a link to some more salt info.

Cool huh?

See you tomorrow,
Connie

No comments:

Post a Comment