Friday, January 10, 2014

Friday With Food: What?

Yeah, I know what your thinking. You're wondering if my ADD has kicked in and I've gone off in a direction that has nothing to with what this blog is about. Well, the ADD is always here, but no, I haven't.

If you want to talk about making do, and using what you have, and particularly, not wasting what you have, food is a perfect place to start.

I hate to see food go to waste.  I particularly hate to spend money on food, and then have to throw it out because I forgot I bought it and it got shoved to the back of the fridge. We're going to talk about how to prevent that. If you have any practical ideas, please share them in the comments.

Ever know someone who could take the heel from a loaf of bread, a half cup of leftover peas, and a slice of onion and turn it into a seven-course meal? I have a friend like that. I suppose it comes from the same creativity that lets people turn tomato cages into Christmas trees. If it is, then it can be learned. No, I haven't learned it yet. Maybe we can learn together.

Additionally, food is a big part of how we get, and stay, healthy. Our health is one of our biggest assets, when it comes to making the best of what we have. So we are going to talk about how to do that with real food. There is a lot of information about all that on the internet, and we are going to try not to rehash it all. However, if I come across something worth sharing, I will definitely share it.

Because we have both gained a LOT of weight, and because we don't want to gain any more, Ed and I have decided to focus on eating better. That means reading labels, and sticking to real food as much as we can. For me, that also means no refined sugar. However, that does not mean we are going to toss the food that is already here. No,we will use what we have, and gradually replace it with healthier stuff.
Katherine thinks we are trying to kill her!

Next Friday, I'll share some of my favorite food blogs and tell you how we are doing on our journey to better health. I'll be back Monday though, to talk about something else.

Have a great weekend!

Connie

No comments:

Post a Comment