Friday, January 24, 2014

Friday with Food: Bagles!

Welcome to Friday with Food!

I had planned on making more of the Honey Whole Wheat Bread and trying out this bagel recipe from Kaitlyn Cooks last Saturday, but I ended up going to the hospital instead. That left me playing catch up all week, but I am happy to say that I got my baking done today!

It is not unusual for me to have several baking projects going on at once. Its simply a matter of timing things where you don't need to be doing something with two projects at the same time. I started the bread first, and this time I got the water temperature right to start with, so I didnt need to do anything else. I added my yeast and flour and let it rise for about an hour.

In the meanwhile, I started the bagels. Here is the list of Kaitlyn's ingredients as she has them at the link above. The notes are hers. Any changes I made are mentioned as I made them.
  • 1 1/2 cups of warm water
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp dry active yeast
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 tsp salt *optional (I always omit)
  • 4 - 5 cups whole wheat flour. Bread is best but I used Bobs Red Mill Organic Whole Wheat All Purpose Flour with excellent results
  • Large pot of water
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp of baking soda
 I used coconut sugar instead of brown sugar, and olive oil instead of canola oil. I did not omit the salt.

I mixed the yeast, sugar, salt and oil in the warm water and let it sit for about 15 minutes.

See how it bubbled up? Thats a sign your yeast is working. Then I started adding flour. I used generic whole wheat flour. It was exactly 4 cups. 
Once it started to form a ball in the bowl, I put in out on my floured cutting board to knead for about 15 minutes. Then I put it back in the bowl, covered it, and set it to rise for an hour

By that time, the hour was up for the bread. This is what it looked like.
Just as I had done with the bagel dough, I turned in out on my floured cutting board and kneaded about 10 minutes. Once again, I put it back in the bowl to rise for another hour. I should mention here, that I used a differnet brand of whole wheat flour this week, and I didn't have the problem of the sticky dough that I had before. 

When the hour was up for the bagels, I punched the dough down, and let it sit for a few minutes. then I turned it out on the board and tore it into eight pieces. 
Poking my fingers through the middle of each piece, I formed them into bagle shapes. Here they are in the boiling water
Waiting to go in the oven while I boiled the other four.
Following Kaitlyn's directions, I set my kitchen timer for nineteen minutes. Then I turned them over for the last minute. Look, it's bagels!
They are very good!

Back to Lisa's bread 
See how pretty it looks after rising for an hour. Time to knead again and put in bread pans.
I don't know why, but I can never get my loaves the same size. Oh well! One more rising. This time about 30 minutes.
Ready to go in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minuutes.
All done! Even better than last time!

Now, I have to finish cleaning my kitchen. I have a tendency to wear as much flour as I use! 

Have a great weekend!

See ya Monday!

Connie

No comments:

Post a Comment